Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:35:33 EDT
John wrote:
<<<I need to clean one or two lenses purchased recently (and maybe one or two
of my own!)
What is best to use for glass surfaces? and for barrel surfaces?
Any hints, lore?>>>

My reply:
Oh no!!!  Not again!!!
I urge you to search the archives.  This topic comes up very often.
There is no consensus, but I use 99 0sopropyl alcohol from the drug store
and cotton swabs or old cotton T-shirt.  I stay away from the 70 0sopropyl
because it has all sorts of other listed ingredients and use cotton because
paper products can have fibers that may scratche elements.
Also, I hope you are talking about cleaning the front and rear elements and
not taking the lens apart.  Unless you have a _very_ proven method of
controlling the dust, I would leave this to a professional.

HTH,
--p.j.