Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:01:09 +0100
Joel wrote:
> ...and one gets this knowledge more infallibly from working a manual
camera and
> learning when you can and can't trust the meter.  So I think I'll start
him
> on the OM-1.

Even an OM-1 is way more advanced than the cameras I learnt with, and I feel
vaguely sorry for people who begin photography with an SLR as their first
camera. If I had to start again, I'd choose something like an old Kodak
Retinette, meterless and with no rangefinder, using just my eyes and brain
to estimate distances and the memorised extended Sunny 16 chart for
exposures. It has a good D-o-F scale with a detailed focus ring that most
modern lenses, even Zuikos, lack. The most important thing is that you don't
learn the ingenuity necessary to overcome your equipment's limitations if it
doesn't have any!

I enjoyed my early days immensely and I learned because I was interested,
and I stayed interested because there was enough to occupy me to prevent me
from being bored.

Regards,
- Keith Berry