Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:37:53 -0400
So many good responses. I would add that it is good to debrief with the photos in hand and find out which shots your child likes and why. Then you can talk to them about what makes that shot occur. In order of difficulty to explain (from easiest to hardest) might be: focusing, composition, lenses, and then anyones guess for dof, aperture, shutter speed, and compensation

Gregg

Volkhart wrote:
Yo y'all,

inspired by Tom's photo excursions with his daughters, I have decided to
give my oldest nephew his first real camera for his 9th birthday which is
coming up in May. I have sniped a nice OM-10 with 50mm/1.8 for him on German
"uPay" that I'm going to do a foam job on one of these days.

Now, what I still haven't quite figured out is - how do I get started
teaching him how to use the camera? I'd like for him to eventually
understand how things work and what he's doing, but I'm unsure about how
much and what to tell him for starters, without confusing him by simply
asking too much of a 9-year-old child. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
as to the appropriate steps to split the teaching/learning process up into.