[OM] How to fix a lens' mount

Subject: [OM] How to fix a lens' mount
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 03:14:35 -0300
Well I've finally succeeded in scamming, er, borrowing my father's vivitar
zoom lens (the one that doesn't have the broken front element for those that
may remember earlier posts about his Olympus gear). It's a 85-205mm 3.8
macro.

The problem I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to properly click onto my
body. It goes on all the way, it just doesn't seem to click. I took a look
at the mount and it looks as if the small piece of metal that holds the lens
in place (at least that's what I assume it does because that's the piece
that moves when you press the lens release) isn't protruding much (at all?)
from it's little hole in the mount.

I bravely (considering this isn't my lens) removed the mount and fiddled
with it a bit to see if I couldn't fix the problem. I've found that I can
get the piece of metal to stick out more but it will usually only work once,
as soon as I press the release button, it goes back to it's normal position.
I tried bending the springy piece of metal to see if I couldn't get it to
push harder on the piece but that didn't seem to help. It seems that it
doesn't need more pressure but actually needs to be pushed up more (towards
the body), and then it also will stick out more.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? Does any of this make sense?

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx