RE: [OM] HELP: what should I take !?!?!

Subject: RE: [OM] HELP: what should I take !?!?!
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 02:00:01 -0600
Jeez Man,     To even consider taking all that stuff is awful. I would
probably take all that stuff, even though I know most of it would not get
used. I don't know how well you insure your gear but even experienced
canoeists get wet sometimes,  for a variety of reasons.  I would suggest
that you keep your kit small enough that you can get it in a dry-bag to
protect against rain or a capsized canoe. The biggest dry-bag I've seen is
about 16 inches in diameter. You could also use multiple smaller bags.
Wildlife is typically seen when you're in the boat so you need something
readily available  at about 135 to 200 mm for the animals when you are
paddling......or piddling as the case may be.  A wide-angle should also be
easily available for those watery panoramas. What you carry will tend to get
very heavy on the portages so keeping the kit simple has merit. Once you
start you're stuck with the load for the duration of the trip. An old
climbers saying is that "you must not forget anything you will need but you
must not have anything extra." Enjoy.....
/jnm