[OM] A poor man's and easy going macro set: OM-30(G) + tubes + 200/4 +

Subject: [OM] A poor man's and easy going macro set: OM-30(G) + tubes + 200/4 + T20
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 20:51:31 +0200
Cc: o.greve@xxxxxxx, hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Recentely I performed some tests with the Zuiko 200/4 as a macro lens.
Although this lens is not designed as a macro lens, it is mentioned in the
manual of th 65-116 tube as a "substitute method". With the 65-116 tube you
can obtain a magnification of 0.67x. But the best news comes now: at 0.67x
magnification the distance between the front element of the lens and the
subject is about 56 cm!!! The distance between the camera and the subject is
about 85 cm.
The quality of the images is not bad. At F4 the corners are reasonably
sharp, but the constrast is low. At F11, however, the images are fine.
Unfortunately I am not able to scan images at the moment, but I will publish
a comparison of pictures taken with the 200/4 and the  80/4 macro within a
few weeks. As a compensation, here's a new macro picture on my site (taken
with the 50/3.5):
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/central-america/vlinders.html
If somebody can identify the species of butterflies, I would be very happy
to know.

Another thing I tried last weekend, was the use of the
in-focus-indication/trigger of the OM-30(G) with macro photography. Well,
actuelly it works quite good. As long as the image is not completely fuzzy
or too dark, you can use the in-focus-trigger. Press the button of the
trigger-cord when you are close to the subject and the camera will most of
the time take the picture at the right moment!
Unfortunately, the OM-30(G) lacks TTL-flash. However, with the 200/4 the
working distance is that big that you can simply set a T20 or T32 (or any
other flash) on manual and choose an aperature related to the distance and
the sensitivity of the film.

Hopefully this gives some inspiration for new TOPE Macro entries.

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html