RE: [OM] [OT] now architecture, was -> Guess the auction

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] now architecture, was -> Guess the auction
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 07:55:22 -0400
>G'day Dirk,
>
>Interesting stuff on the Burley Griffins. I remember Canberra well when it
>was pretty quiet. I did six months National Service there in the RAAF in
>1954. At that time they were saying that while Sydney was a city without a
>plan, Canberra was a plan without a city!

Yeah, seems he ran into some opposition while supervising the construction of
the city. Eventually he left that post and entered private practice in
Australia. There's a bunch of info on Canberra and the Griffins on the web. I
ordered a video from a PBS affiliate here in the states that did a one hour
documentary on them. There is also at least one book on them.

Someday I'd like to travel to the midwest and photograph these great Prairie
School houses. I'd probably run in to trouble with the owners though....
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright