Re: [OM] OT mercury

Subject: Re: [OM] OT mercury
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 18:57:10 -0700
According to something I read (so this is hearsay) one gram of Hg will
be enough to raise the pollution level in an average 28 ac. lake to over
the acceptable limit. We're talking ppb.
What I did with the stuff as a kid makes me cringe.

Mike

Liquid mercury is relatively insoluble and lies at the bottom of the waterway(usually downstream from a paper pulp plant) until bacteria convert it to methyl mercury which is soluble and gets into the food chain. Careful where you fish. There are relatively responsible people who say that we have already irreparably polluted our water supply with the stuff. Only a matter of about 50 years until bacteria convert enough of the stuff to kill ourselves off. :-(

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA