RE: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2

Subject: RE: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 19:01:49 -0700
Roger,

I'm not sure I qualify as an "experienced amateur", and I certainly don't
qualify as a "pro". However, my experiences so far match much of what you've
said. While one can look long and hard and spend lots of money trying for
the "perfect lens", for the most part it seems that only a very small group
of people can tell the difference in the results. The photographer behind
the lens has far more influence on the photograph, IMHO.

All that said, it is good to know about the really *bad* lenses out there. I
think that's been far more useful (at least to me) than hair-splitting about
the relative goodness of a stable of very good lenses.

Can the difference between two good lenses from the same manufacturer make a
huge difference? I expect so. I also expect that the situations in which
they (noticeably, to a general audience) do are pretty few and far between.

---
Scott Gomez