Re: [OM] aperture ring question

Subject: Re: [OM] aperture ring question
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 22:30:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/01 9:34:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, wclark@xxxxxxx
writes:

> I have a brief question.  I have sitting in front of me a Vivitar 28 2.5 and
>  an Olympus 28 2.8.  The aperture ring on the Vivitar can be set IN-BETWEEN
>  aperture values while the Olympus will only set itself at the specific
>  f-stops.  A 35mm Vivitar also does this.  Does anyone know why Vivitar
chose
>  to allow a more flexible aperture setting?  Is this really more flexible?
>  have never really thought about it before.
>
>  Thanks,
>  -Bill

If you've taken a lens apart, a spring pushes a ball bearing into either a
groove or indentation, marking the set f stops. If you lose the little ball
bearing (like my 50/1.4), you have "stepless" aperture control. If you want
intermediate stops, you can approximate in between the set stops or drill new
indentations on the inside of the aperture ring. I haven't done this to my
Zuikos, but have for other 3rd party lens. I suppose it's a matter of
preference but if you need 1/3 f stop accuracy by all means set it between
the marked stops.

Warren