Battery disposal - was: [OM] mercury batteries

Subject: Battery disposal - was: [OM] mercury batteries
From: "Philip Pemberton" <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 11:42:49 +0100
Hi,
    I've just been following the thread on mercury batteries and I've just
noticed that there are no battery recycling centers around here (damned UK).
Hmm... Anyone ever popped into Radioshack? Have a look at the label on the
"Ferric Chloride" etchant they sell - under "Disposal". It basically
recommends that you throw it down the toilet with plenty of water! Hmm...
    The local disposal facilities round here don't appear to have any
facilities to dispose of dud batteries, yet they are quite happy to take
away your normal household rubbish...
    I wonder how many new batteries could be made from recycling the old
ones...

    Let's see. A typical zinc carbon "dry cell" consists of a fair bit of
manganese, some potassium-based chemicals, a zinc case and a carbon rod
through the middle. Roughly 1->1 ratio.

    One of my friends bought a "Battery Manager Ultra" and started
rejuvinating the cylindrical (AAA, AA, C, D, etc) batteries that people kept
throwing away. He actually did quite well - until he lost the power supply
for his Battery Manager Ultra...

--
Phil.
http://www.philpem.f9.co.uk/