Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story

Subject: Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 22:36:08 +1000
>The other case was a Japanese fishing village. I believe the name was
>Minamata and the mercury spilling into the water system from industry got
>into fish leading to mercury poisoning in the inhabitants who consumed the
>fish.

At last we can bring it back to photography - I've got a copy of the
book/photo essay 'Minimata' by W. Eugene Smith - one of my favorites (Holt,
Reinhart, Winston - NY 1975). He documents the appalling effects of extreme
mercury poisoning on the inhabitants of a Japanese fishing village caused
by a local polluter.
AndrewF