Re: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 09:45:26 -0500
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx -- snipped first part:
When I was a young photographer...many years ago, I thought there was magic
to the lens I was using. Now I know...the magic is me and how I use it to
see. I choose the longer focal lengths for more compression...the shorter for
less.
Now what do the other pros and experienced amateurs have to say?
Roger

Hi Roger,
I was going to say after reading about your experience with the 75-150/4 exactly what you said yourself at the end of your post: the magic is unquestionably you.

God grant us all the grace sometimes just to shut up and shoot.<G>

Nevertheless, the OM List gives us the opportunity to indulge some kinds of interests that can't be indulged elsewhere. There are doubtless some "OM polishers and navel gazers" (apt phrase from a friend) on list, but we cannot really do more than surmise about the secrets of other persons' hearts, so let that all go.

As an amateur musician, I have often been stunned to discover that a professional musician I have met has very pedestrian opinions about Music (with a Big M). They seem to have a gift without the need to uncover either the deeper meanings or even the best equipment to ply their craft. I have heard of a number of photographers who were the same way. Lots of great work has been done with just a couple of lenses, and the quality of the work is of course never evaluated by graphing the resolution of the lens used. Many people will start off assuming that the tool is the craft.

I have always enjoyed using a limited kit to see what I could do with it; you know, take something and do what you can even if you can't take everything. I would gladly get rid of almost every lens if I found I could do just about everything I want with only one or two lenses, but I'm just not there yet. I haven't shot enough (and maybe never will) to be able to say, "This is what I do, and this is all I need to do it." Bless you if you've passed through such a threshold.

Anyway, thanks for a breath of fresh air.  Keep doing what you do.

Joel W.