[OM] RE: 90 vs 100 at infinity

Subject: [OM] RE: 90 vs 100 at infinity
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 6 May 2001 14:19:28 -0000
C.H.Ling,

This is really perplexing. First, I do not own either the 90f2 or 100f2 so
my comments are (basically) worthless. I do own the viv series 1 90f2.5 which
is why I never bothered with the 90f2/100f2 (I purchased the 90f2.5 back in
1980 when it was cheap and given the cost of the 90f2/100f2 and the performance
of the 90f2.5 I haven't been able to justify the cost of a new lens).

Anyways, photodo (which has many flaws) happens to have mtf test results for
the 90f2 and 100f2. One thing htat I have always criticize photodo numbers is
they are only useful at infinity (sort of the inverse criticism of Gary's
numbers) if you assume that lens performance is not uniform from 1:10 to
1:infinity.

Anyways at infinity photodo found their samples of these two lenses to be
very similar with slight favoritism towards the 90f2 (significant favoritism
for contrast).

Yet in practice you find the 100f2 to be a better lens wide open (and I
assume Gary's comment was one of dissatisfaction of the 90f2 stopped down).

So much for theory vs practice.

Alan