Re: [OM] heresy

Subject: Re: [OM] heresy
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 00:48:07 -0500
>...do people actually like the shutter speed ring placement on OM's?

The fact that the shutter speed ring was accessable from the front like the
apature ring was one of the main reasons I purchased my OM1 back when it was
introduced. The alternative of having to fiddle up on top of the camera with
an ASA-like dial seemed to be asking for trouble. Being able to keep my eye
glued to the viewfinder and my hand on the lens focus/apature/shutter rings
was and is a tribue to "Maitani's genius as a designer".  However...

I will admit that I sometimes fumble trying to use it. On that point, I
believe it is becuase of the placement of the grip-tabs on the ring. Notice
if you place your shutter speed at 1/30th of a second, that the tabs are
right at 3 and 9 o'clock. Now roatate it up and down the scale. For my grip,
it "seems" easy to reach from 1/8th to 1/125th of a second. Since I rarely
try to hand-hold anything less than 1/60th of a second,  I wish that the
grip-tabs were rotated so that the range of 1/60th to 1/1000th would be
withing easy working range. Either that or extend the tabs so that they form
a "U" that could be grasped at any speed.

>...as a perverse tribute to the OM-1?

Egad! Blasphemy!!! Get the boiling oil, there are heathen at the gates!