Re: [OM] heresy

Subject: Re: [OM] heresy
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:16:14 +0200 (CEST)
Marcus,

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Marcus b6 wrote:

> Realizing that I stand a good chance of being impaled on a stake, my well
> poisoned, my fields salted, and my name wispered as a warning to
> children...

No, given your views below, I had something much more painfull in
mind....forcing upon you to carry around a full N*k*n F5-set, for
example....Or something like that...I shall think up something really mean
for you - in the meantime, read my comments below...

> do people actually like the shutter speed ring placement on OM's?

YES YES YES - it is, imnsho (In My Not so Humble Opinion)- a very
desireable feature. The fact that I do not have to let go of the steady
grip of the camera when changing apeture, shutter-speed and focus is
absolutely lovely. On "other cameras" I always have to fumble to move my
hand to change the shutter-speed etc.

The placemet on the OM's is actually one of the reasons why I bought OM in
the first place. And it was (honestly) the first thing I noticed about
those lil' bodies. I remember thinking "Wow, why didn't anyone do that
before?"

> I mean the darn thing is fiddly and hard to find, especially with a large
> lens and tripod ring.

Okie, you just picked the one situation, where it is not desireable to
have the shutter-speed ring where it is. IMNSHO, the shutter-speed ring is
perfect for hand-held photography. For use with a tripod, I prefer medium
format anyways (and, I hope, in a year or so LF) ;)

> I absolutely hate it.

Heretic!

> I think an OM-10 with its manual
> shutter speed accessory might be just the ticket to enjoy my Zuiko glass
> more. Is the ring supposed to be a desirable feature, or was it an
> engineering neccessity that was carried through the line as a perverse
> tribute to the OM-1?

If I recall correctly: both, but probably engineering before comfort. The
placement of the shutter speed ring allowed the design of some parts of
the shutter to be kept simpler and smaller.

So I guess that (again, IMNSHO) the ergonomic feature came as a positive
side-effect from an engineering smartness...;)

> It gets worse with my OM-4,

Heretic (again)!

> because the prism housing
> obscures the view of the speed setting, not to mention that confounded and
> thrice darned little button that you have to push for "bulb".

You know what? Send your OM4 to me, I shall - free of charge - eschange it
with a mint and freshly CLA'ed OM10. I shall even pay the shipping of the
OM10 to you. Ain't I such a nice guy? ;)

> I keep
> thinking I'll get used to the novelty of this arrangement, but I haven't
> yet. Promise me I will learn to love it,

Well, put the camera in manual mode and go on hand-held assignment for a
weeks time or so. Bring a buddy with a N*k*n F-something, also set on
manual. And see who in the end spends the most time fumbeling to change
the shutter-speed....

I recently bought a P*n*a* for the "other half", which has the
shutter-speed ring on top. It's an MZ5n which is a nice camera - but which
I find extremely annoying to use in manual mode because of the
shutter-speed selector placement. Fortunately, the camera has decent
spot-metering, and I'm developing a style of using that + exposure lock +
apeture control - and get by. But to me, that's a bit too troublesome.

Also fortunately, the other half thinks otherwise, and fortunately the
camera is not for my usage ;)

> and I will try harder to believe
> that Maitani's genius as a designer is absolute.

What? Was there ever any doubt about that? I'm sorry, I don't think I
understand the above sentence ;)

> -Marcus (who otherwise
> loves his Zuiko's; and his compact, full featured camera bodies)

--thomas
(who finds the shutter-speed ring placement to be perfect)

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering