[OM] RE: heresy

Subject: [OM] RE: heresy
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:15:37 +0100
Marcus wrote:
<snip>
do people actually like the shutter speed ring placement on OM's?
<snip>

Well, no flames from me, laddie, but it is pretty good flame bait ;-)

I love it. It is one of the main reasons I bought OM. It just makes so much
*sense* to me. YMMV, obviously. I do all that adjusting with my left hand,
take the shot and wind with my right. Yippee. It was the winning feature
over the P*nt*x I was also considering at the time, which was also dinky
sizewise, though fatter.

As for not knowing where I am, at the start of the shoot part of the
'getting set up' procedure is to have the camera at 1/125 and to meter the
scene, and use that setting. Thereafter I know (sometimes pretty roughly, I
admit, especially if I'm shooting fast) where I am in terms of aperture and
shutter speed. The only time I look is pretty much when I am needing extra
dof, or no dof. Or a particular speed, though this doesn't occur very often,
usually when I fit a long lens.

I love it when we go back over this, because I love the feature so much, I
get a nice warm glow knowing I bought the right camera...

Donald.

PS - had two days in the deserted Cairngorms last week. Life is sweet.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk