Re: [OM] OM-4 Test Pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Test Pictures
From: "Oben Candemir" <dunya@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 21:04:49 +1000
Chris,

Its so interesting that you are liking the OM-4 going from using the earlier
bodies (presumably).

I started back in the 80's with an OM-1 and fell in love with the Olympus
system.. I thought all cameras ought to have had their shutter speed dials
on the lens mount area. I bought an OM4Ti back in 1989 and liked it at
first. Recently I got an OM2black and even more recently an OM2N chrome.

In my opinion the OM2N was and is THE camera body in the OM-system.
Criticisms of the need for battery power aside (I mean what modern AF camera
would work without one??) it has all the things we love and need in the OM
series and nothing we dont. My reasons are:

1. The fixed flash shoe of the OM-3 / 4 bite into the brow/forehead and
can't be removed. The 2 on the other hand has no such problem with the shoe
on or off. I thought this may be just my anatomy but others also confirm my
experience.

2. The exposure compensation dial on the OM4 easily gets turned with normal
camera handling and the +/- mark in the viewfinder is hard to see and easily
overlooked leading to wrong exposures. The OM2N has a very nice indicator as
well as the fact the dial can't be turned with normal handling.

3. The OM4 eats batteries like there's no tomorrow. I can't keep up with its
appetite and I have gotten sick of removing and replacing the batteries.

4. The highlight and shadow controls are a complete waste of time. I can't
remember when I needed them nor the last time I used them.

5. Spot metering? It is nice, but can be replicated by using your feet to
get closer and meter etc. or using a tele to meter a smaller area of the
scene.

Don't get me wrong; I own both, but since I got my OM2N, it made me realise
that Olympus lost the plot a little with the 3 and 4. Not to mention the
fact that they didn't really develop the ideas any further.