RE: [OM] OM-4 Test Pictures

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-4 Test Pictures
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 10:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
Boy, miss a week, miss a lot.  I'm jumping in here
without reading the whole thread--just the last few
posts.

I recently acquired an OM-4 from Tom (Hunt-Brothers)
Scales.  For being so similar to the OM-2x bodies, it
is like using a Nikon F4 in that the new features
truely open up new universes of exposure possibilites.
 With these cabilities also comes with additional
complexities.

I calculated recently that I've shot in the
neighborhood of 80,000 pictures with my OM-2S.  Going
to the OM-4 requires me to "rethink" my operating
procedures and does mandate a different mentality.
You cannot shoot it the same way as an OM-2n. Well,
you can, but for that matter you might as well go with
an OM-10.

I've found that with multispot I'm not using exposure
compensation.  Pick your middletone, press the spot
button, recompose and fire.  Maybe to be on the safe
side, multispot several locations.  Sequence shots
require exposure compensation or locking the setting
into memory.

As far as the OM-2n is concerned.  I realize many of
you are devout fans of this body, but I personally
feel that the advantages of the in-mirror-box sensor
of the OM-2S, OM-3x and OM-4x and auto-shutoff far
outweigh most of the advantages spoken of the OM-2n.
Only area of objective advantage for the 2n is overall
reliability.

Me things that the current 'dissing' of the OM-4 is
because somebody is hoping to acquire one and is
hoping to drive the price down.  I think we saw it
last year with the OM-1 and more often with the OM-2S.

Ken N.