Re: [OM] heresy, shutter speed rings.

Subject: Re: [OM] heresy, shutter speed rings.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 14:40:44 -0400

>There's no question in my mind that the shutter speed ring is an
>eccentricity. I don't know if it is genius, but it makes other things
>possible, as for example on the OM-2(x) one of the easiest exposure
>compensation dials imaginable, and on the OM-3(x) and OM-4(x) the greatest
>metering system extant IMHO.  Ironically, it is more of a nuisance on the
>OM-1 than any other body, since setting the shutter speed is a constant
>chore on a manual body. Even so, I guess I have gotten in the habit of
>selecting shutter speed before putting eye to viewfinder in most cases based
>on the type of shot in the offing.

Maybe in the 35mm world this is eccentricity, but I think historically, all
cameras regardless of format with leaf shutter lenses had this feature. The
only thing missing in my judgement is the inability to lock in an EV by
having the option of connecting up the shutter speed ring and the aperture
ring and rotating them together, as in the Hassleblad camera. Olympus missed
on that one.
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright