Re: [OM] Re: Working Distance (was "85/2 vs 90/2")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Working Distance (was "85/2 vs 90/2")
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 19:54:03 +0000
At 00:02 5/8/01, Joel Wilcox wrote:

Wow. Thanks.

You're welcome. Researched some of this stuff for a tutorial on my web site about lenses. Not yet complete, but getting there.

I've got the Viv tubes. I'm not thinking about using the 135/2.8 on the notion that it would be faster but because the lens seems to me to be very good. Also, all being otherwise equal between the two, if the 135/4.5 allowed me to stay further away from the subject, I would find this to be a selling point. I don't do well stalking butterflies even with the 90/2.

Jumping to the 135/2.8 with extensions will require a steadier hold compared to the 90/2 if you're doing this hand held. Should be lighter than using the 90/2, although heavier than an 85/2 with tubes.

I've had some good experience using the 300/4.5 with a little extension for close focus at a good working distance, but not handheld.

I've used the 200/4 Zuiko with extensions also, although not as often as the 85/2 and 135/2.8 lenses. As focal length is increased to gain distance from subject, the length of extension tube required for the same magnification is likewise increased.

Thinking out loud:
I ought to put together a table showing what the various combinations tube lengths do with various Zuiko prime lenses; both with Oly tubes and the Vivitar. Found the longest tube out of the Vivitar set, the 36mm, quite handy with the longer lenses. Wouldn't be hard to do in a spreadsheet. Results would be approximate measuring from lens exterior as the theoretical formulae are based on distances from lens principal points (nodes) and film plane. Might be useful for some as the TOPE 6 window is still open (have you done yours yet?).

-- John