[OM] RE: heresy/Cairngorms

Subject: [OM] RE: heresy/Cairngorms
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:51:06 +0100
Heh, heh, I should've had a competition...

Roger, who can probably almost see them from high ground, got it right.
John, entertaining as ever, made a darn good stab at it. If only he had
known that Gorm is Scottish Gaelic for blue...

I intend having a website devoted entirely to the 'Gorms one of these days,
they are in fact a range of mountains in Scotland, about sixty to eighty
miles west of Aberdeen. Texans will probably know someone who has worked in
Aberdeen...

Unlike the more isolated, abrupt mountains in the West of Scotland, the
Cairngorms form a fairly uniform plateau at around 4000 feet, cut by glacial
troughs (notably the Lairig Ghru - lairig means 'pass' -  and Lairig an
Laoigh). They include the second, third, fourth and fifth highest mountains
in the British Isles. It is the largest area above 4000 feet in Britain.

They are more properly called Am Monadh Ruadh, the Red Hills, contrasting
with Am Monadh Liath (the Grey Hills), which lie across the river Spey to
the West.

Don't get me started...

Donald.

PS  - our little cat, Ossie, part of our family since 1982, died this
morning. She gave us so much.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk