Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...

Subject: Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:29:49 -0700
Hi,

Gary wrote:
"Modern and Popular Photography tests probably suffered from the same auto
diaphragm mechanism vibrations the show up in my OM-1(n) based tests!"
"By that, I mean that by the time an SQF grade of A is reached in my
testing, the resolution capability of the film itself has been maxed out.
I'm probably only seeing differences in contrast."
"My A-, A and A+ grades are so telescoped together by film limitations and
project lens limitations"

Erwin wrote:

Well, here it goes: I have serious doubts if the results of Gary's test have
much to do with the quality of the lens...
What amazes me is that the thoughts quoted above not started a discussion
about the SQF rating itself. The main reason why I come up with this, is
that several times on this list lenses are judged by Gary's SQF rating. A
bad idea I think. Well, lets start with an example.
One of my favourite and highly under estimated lenses is the Zuiko 28-48/4.
It is a lens that only gets B's in the SQF. Here's a test from a Dutch
magazine:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/pix/zuiko2848.jpg
and compare it with a test of the MC 50/1.8:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/pix/zuiko5018.jpg
And now look at the SQF...
How is it possible that a professional magazine measures the lens as one of
the best zooms they have ever seen (in the 80s), with a resolution
outperforming almost every commercial film and even outperforming (in some
ways) the Zuiko MC 50 mm F1.8, while it is a lens with only B's...?
-snip

Considering that Olympus did not consider it it a professional level lens and gave it the consumer level "S" designation, I think Gary is probably closer to the truth. Giving credence to "a professional magazine" just because they publish commercially may not always be wise. Both Modern Camera and Popular Photography explained occasional wide divergence between tests of the same model lens by "variations in the quality of manufacture." Puhleaze. I would put any camera manufacturer's quality controls, inspection team, and production engineering team up against a magazine's one or two guys and their tightly budgeted equipment and deadlines anytime.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA