[OM] RE: heresy/Cairngorms

Subject: [OM] RE: heresy/Cairngorms
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 23:25:33 +0100
Chris wrote:

<snip>
But the ones further west are more desolate, have deeper
valleys
<snip>

Aye, and I could write a short volume on those as well...

Chris also wrote:
<snip>
(good for flying down in a very fast aircraft... oh halcyon
days!)
<snip>

SO! I was YOU, ya noisy bugger!! ;-)

Jim Timpe wrote:

<snip>
are they truly mountains
<snip>

Ooooooh yes. The definition here of a mountain is 'does it kill smartass
foreigners who think they're only foothills'? ;-)  In the case of the
Cairngorms the answer is yes, in spades.

Think of them as a little bit of the Arctic moved dangerously close to
centres of population and unregulated trailheads...

Size, as they say... I once met a guy from Boulder, who was climbing with an
acquaintance of mine at Traprain Law, a little outcrop of rock south of
Edinburgh. I remarked that it was a bit tame compared with Colorado. 'Rock's
a rock', he said.

One wee example. Take the easy way off the Lairig an Laoigh at Bynack More
in bad weather and it is 22 treeless, trackless and shelterless miles to
Tomintoul. People die here all the time. Everyone who walks the 'Gorms all
year round has a blizzard story. Sometime I'll tell you one of mine...

Mind you, I liked the Rockies, too.

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk