Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...

Subject: Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 10:05:14 +0800
My conclusion is no matter what test to refer, they all have certain
values, you need to know how they are generated and how to interpret
them. You also need to evaluate the lenses characteristic yourself,
select the one that suit the event. To me not every Zuiko is an
excellent lens:

18 has heavy vignetting, not good in flare control easily get ghost
image.
24/2 has waveform field of curvature.
28/2 and 2.8 didn't have the color I want and too contrast.
135/2.8's picture taken with my hand always look not sharp, lack of
resolution.
200/4 difficult to get high resolution images.

For the 28/2, 2.8, 135/2.8, I had at least two each before because I
want to find out if it was individual problem.

28-48 is not an outstanding lens (I also got two before, now still
have one), same as the 50/1.8 but the picture from 50/1.8 seems better
in color and contrast balance, picture from the Zoom look more
contrast and not so brilliance.

Understanding your tool is very important, not wasting of time, unless
you have spend too much time on switching gears, I know some friends
here always change system, Contax, Leica, Rollie MF... but never seen
a good picture from them. Most Zuikos are excellent lenses, look no
further ;-)

C.H.Ling