Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...

Subject: Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:29:30 -0700
Wayne H. writes:

<< She was sitting in a chair quite still and I was able to focus quite
accurately (so I thought) on her eyelashes, lighting was with T32
bounced from an umbrella.  Film was Kodak Portra 160NC, body OM-2SP with
1-4 screen, aperture f2.8 for each lens. When I got the film back about
1/4 to 1/3 showed incorrect focus, with the area of sharpest focus not
the eyelashes.

So how do you achieve "correct" focus ? >>

Next time repeat the test with a 2-4 screen and the proper dioptric
correction for the eye you favor for focusing.  If you still encounter
the problem, try a different body. Worse case scenerio: you'd have to
ditch (or get adjusted) the present body.

A 2-4 screen and proper dioptric correction makes the OM-2S to OM-4Ti
family the easiest to manually focus cameras I've ever encountered (and
I see lots of them).

FWIW, the earliest OM-1 based SQF tests that I did might not have been
with proper dioptric correction. Likewise, they were with a split image
screen focused via the biprism image. I might have missed the mark (even
with a Varimagnifinder), which would explain why a f/11 result would
exceed an f/8: depth of field "corrects" the misfocus.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV