RE: [OM][OT] Forwarded- Ebay & Paypal.com- The Good and the Bad

Subject: RE: [OM][OT] Forwarded- Ebay & Paypal.com- The Good and the Bad
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:43:42 +1000
Infuriates me that BidPay keeps sending me those 'we're so convenient'
messages because it takes 2-3 weeks to clear a US$ money order here and
banks charge about $10 to do it. I also have to wait for it to show up in
the post - 10-14 days from the US. Record so far was 6 weeks from sale to
spend.
I've suggested to some buyers that they use a 'Swift' bank-to-bank transfer
- 'cos it's cheaper than Western Union transfer and it arrives here in
local currency. Very simple and should be very cheap. But, banks seem to
have decided that it should cost US$15 and one guy was quoted $30! Absolute
rip-off. My Credit Union will do it for free, except for a small margin on
the exchange rate.
So much for globalisation? Big guy gets the benefits, we get the bill.
Andrew