Re:[OM] heresy eSIF on CD OM2n

Subject: Re:[OM] heresy eSIF on CD OM2n
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:47:47 -0700 (PDT)
Andy Gilbert wrote:

(Snip) . . . Anyway, back to my OM2n!  I just need to tell someone how
gorgeous it is!  I had an OM2 back in '78, but it became unreliable,
often locking up for no apparent reason (It was brand new)  so I've not
been so keen to buy one again. This body seems fine, 3 rolls of film
through it with winder on & it's performed well.  I think I'm going to
like it a lot!  I've used it mainly with the 35-105 zoom I bought a few
months ago, which is becoming a firm favourite for certain things.
(Throw one body/lens in a bag in case something comes up)  Anyone else
particularly like the OM2n?
Yes, Andy, I do!

I started with an OM-10 in 1981 but happily replaced it with a 2n after
a couple of years. Then, I replaced the 2n with a 2S in 1985. I
certainly have not regretted buying the 2S; however, I eventually
bought another 2n, as back-up, because I had experienced some
mechanical problems with the 2S film advance mechanism and I wasn't
sure if they might recur. Since then, I enjoy alternating between the
two cameras.

I love the shape and ergonomics of the 2n and I consider it superior,
in this regard, to the 2S. In particular, I prefer the operation of the
2n shutter speed ring and the film advance, which are smoother than the
2S. I also prefer the mechanical self-timer of the 2n, compared with
the electronic self-timer of the 2S. The 2n is more conservative in its
use of batteries and is more likely to be repairable if it suffers an
electronic breakdown. I also don't much care for the clatter of the
double mirror when taking shots with the 2S and I think the 2n sounds
far better.

The 2S has its advantages, of course (which is why I bought one!): like
spot metering (in manual mode); fixed hot-shoe; separate socket for the
TTL cord; and the use of a silicon blue photocell in the mirror-box
floor for *all* light measurement purposes, instead of using separate
CdS cells at the focusing screen for the viewfinder meter display, as
in the OM-2(n). FWIW, I've also found the auto-mode light metering in
the 2S to be a little more accurate than in the 2n.

To my mind, the 2n was probably the pinnacle of OM design from a purely
aesthetical standpoint. But please note that these are my humble (and
subjective) opinions. Your kilometerage may vary.

Regards,

=====
Ray