[OM] Old camera whoas continued.

Subject: [OM] Old camera whoas continued.
From: Clendon Gibson <bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
There where so many questions by so many people I
thought I would address them to the list.

The camera that is beyond repair is a Canon FTb, known
to some as a wonderbrick. It is a family hand me down.
My chief interest in it is that I have a lot of
accesories for this body, including a bellows.

The beyond repair damage apparently is a crack in the
aluminum approximatly where the lens attaches. (I have
not seen the crack myself. I go to pick up the camera
over the weekend. To avoid the downtown traffic.)

Apparently getting the replacement part is not such a
big deal. The big deal is the precision alignment that
is required to get the lens mount parallel to the film
plane. The dollar value $1000 was kicked around. As
fresh bodies of this model run $300 for EX+, that
wasn't the way to go.

Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx made a good point about which modern
camera, or plastic cyberbrick I thought was going to
be a life long investment.

I really don't know. The only recent camera I have
played with is a Canon Rebel, and besides feeling
cheap because of the light plastic body, it's controls
in manual mode where difficult for me to use.

Some other posts on the list indicate that Olympus 4
series might be a good switch.

Last thing. Several posts indicated I should get a
second opinion through John. Is there a web site or
e-mail where I can pursue that line? Thanks!