Re: [OM] Cleaning battery contacts

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning battery contacts
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:19:18 -0700
In a message dated 5/10/2001 "Wayne Harridge"
<wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< I need to clean the battery contacts in the battery holder of a
winder.
Anyone got any suggestions as to the best method ? >>

I am not a camera tech so perhaps John, Clint, etc. can wiegh in
but...as a consumer electronic repair tech for many years I swear by a
product once called Cramolin, now called Deoxit. Check out www.caig.com
for more information. With the liquid contact cleaner a wooden stick
cotton tip swab works very well. Pencil erasers also work well. What you
want to be careful of is not to remove the plating on the contacts
because once that happens surface corrosion will develop more quickly
and require more frequent cleaning. In other wors use the least abrasive
method possible to get everything clean. When I last did one (it was
dead) I removed the springs and cleaned the spring holders and spring
contact surfaces as well. HTH!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com