[OM] Projector Lens

Subject: [OM] Projector Lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:54:49 -0700

<< About the Colorplan 90/2.5. The grain of kodachrome 25 is easily
visible with this lens. So what's wrong with the resolution? However, it
does matter which type of screen you use. Many screens have a limited
resolution (caused by the texture of the screen), meaning you have to
project very large to see the grain of the film. My 2c. >>

Try this with a Colorplan. Project a slide with resolution test charts
in the center and corner. Compare the results with what you see on the
slide through a microscope. Even if you determine projected resolution
on a white matte card that you move to the point of best focus (like I
have), it will only be about 60% the resolution of what you saw through
the microscope.  My sample size = 1, so YMMV.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV

It is not too surprising that an optical image in a microscope would be better than a projected image. Or are you saying that the Colorplan could be improved upon? Are there better projector lenses out there?

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California