Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:14:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 May 2001, Gary Reese wrote:

> I suspect that a big reason more shops don't do Olympus repairs
> is that getting through to the Parts Department at Olympus America can
> be an exercise in futility.  Technicians don't have all day to stay on
> the phone and get an order executed.  I understand that just getting a
> human on the other end is way harder than it should be.

This doesn't seem to be my experience.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but about
900f the time I call someone answers the phone.  When ordering parts, it
helps significantly if you know the part number.  It seems Olympus parts is
still operating in a 1970's mode, they only have printed service manuals.
(on-line service manuals?  What's that? :-).  It can take the person on the
other end of the phone quite some time to locate the parts diagram and find
the part number you need.  Once the part number is located, the rest of the
transaction goes quickly (assuming the part is available).  The biggest
complaint I have is the lack of availability of parts.  If there's one thing
that will kill off our OM's, it's the lack of parts.  It took me over 6 months
to get a new lens mount for the 24mm/35mm shift lens, and that was the last
one that was available from Olympus Japan.  I just can't imagine a repair shop
going through the hassle I went through to get that part.
                                        -mark