Re: [OM] Projector Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Projector Lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:36:24 +0000
At 17:54 5/10/01, Winsor Crosby wrote:

It is not too surprising that an optical image in a microscope would be better than a projected image. Or are you saying that the Colorplan could be improved upon? Are there better projector lenses out there?

One of the well-known names in projection lenses is Schneider-Kreuznach. They have a very expensive high-end line of lenses [which I cannot afford]. However, they also make a high quality, inexpensive "Vario-Prolux MC" 70-120mm f/2.8 zoom for carousel projectors. A little higher in price than the 4-6" f/3.5 Kodak zoom, it's much, much, much better. I was impressed by the precision of the plastic barrel and zoom. No, it's not an industrial strength lens made for school, commercial or industrial beatings and abuse. It's made for the loving care of home use, but IMO it has pro grade performance. I was amazed how much the resolution of my camera lenses leaped after putting the Vario-Prolux on the projector (compared to Kodak's 4" f/2.8 and 4-6" f/3.5). The Vario-Prolux is a "flat field" lens (as are most pro grade projector lenses). This means either glass slide mounts or allowing slides in glass-less mounts to "pop." I use glass-less mounts and the transparencies will "pop" after a few seconds. I cannot compare it to the Leitz Colorplan as I've never used a Leitz projector. What I have seen is on-line reviews (photo.net) written by Vario-Prolux users stating it's one of the best buys among projection lenses. Selling for $130 (B&H, NYC), I agree with them.

-- John