Re: [OM] 55mm f/1.2 [was: Re: olympus-digest V2 #2405]

Subject: Re: [OM] 55mm f/1.2 [was: Re: olympus-digest V2 #2405]
From: "Mark Hammons" <astaire@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 10:38:59 -0500
I have a 1950s vintage Leica Summicron in Leica Screw mount that
has this yellow tinge too.  I bought a hand-held Geiger counter recently
for a trip to the Trinity (first A-bomb test) site in New Mexico.  I had
heard that this Summicron was maybe radioactive and when I tested it
with my Geiger counter it sure enough was - Reading 1000 counts/minute
with my Geiger counter held right up to the front lens element.

I had assumed the yellow in the glass was a result of the radioactivity
affecting the glass and or coatings -- I didn't think this lens came with
the yellow tint in it when new.  I assumed the same thing about the 55/1.2
Zuiko -- is this not the case and did these "radioactive" lenses come from
the factory with their glass having a slight yellow tinge??

Also, what other lenses in the Zuiko lineup have radioactive glass (if any)?

Mark Hammons