Re: [OM] Re: First Efforts with 50/3.5 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: First Efforts with 50/3.5 Macro
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:04:00 +0000
At 22:10 5/13/01, you wrote:
I am still learning about the depth of field ( or lack of it) in Macro shots. Practice will help alot. I also find that when I use the depth of field preview the image becomes so dim that I can't really see it.

So, a few questions to the group:

1. The OM-2 has the older speckling on the metering area, so it averages the whole image. Am I correct on this? White flowers are over exposed, while darker ones are right on.

Don't know about the pattern . . . but watch for high contrast in bright, direct sunlight. You cannot get both detail in white highlight and darker colors in shadow with most films. I would suspect that before the curtain pattern.

2. Would I benefit materially by getting a 2-13 screen to replace the 1-13 that is in the camera now? Or, should I carry a small mag lite to illuminate the image while I check depth of field?

Even with an OM-4 and 2-13 screen, seeing the DOF accurately making macros with an 85/2 or 135/2.8 and extension tubes is difficult at best. I suggest using the DOF preview to find what you think is the DOF you want and then "bracketing" with the aperture on each side of it. Remember, any camera shake can be confused with loss of DOF or lack of critical focus. Look at your images carefully when evaluating this.

-- John