Re: [OM] ***Graphex~ Speed Graphic and Mini Speed Graphic***

Subject: Re: [OM] ***Graphex~ Speed Graphic and Mini Speed Graphic***
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 02:59:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
On Sun, 13 May 2001 10:38:26 EDT Ez2endo@xxxxxxx writes:

<snip>... just got two old cameras ...One is 4x5 and the other is 2¼X3¼ film
size, Is this film still available?   Both have a flash attachment,  the
larger one has an extra lens,  ...</snip>
-----------------------------

Don't know anything about this site, just did a google search and thought it
might be of value. http://www.graflex.org/

I purchased a 4x5 Crown Graphic (the non-focal plane shutter version of the
Speed Graphic) about 5 years ago at a Houston camera show. The camera body
was in excellent condition and only set me back about $150 if I remember
correctly. Don't have a clue what the baby Graphics go for. I don't drag my
4x5 out everyday, but it is very enjoyable to plan and execute a photograph
with this camera. Others may disagree strongly with me, but if you want to
work on your photo skills, use a 4x5. (You just don't slap it on a tripod
and churn film at 10fps a'la Ni*on.)

Don't worry that you aren't set up to do darkroom work. If you decide to
keep them, the 4x5 can take Polaroid film holders and can have prints
developed in minutes. If the baby Graphic can use a roll back, you are set
up for medium format.  Both are more than ready and able to do the work of a
"shift" lens--only the camera does the shift rather than the lens body. Go
to your local library and check out Ansel Adams' book "The Camera" for a
very complete intro to large format cameras.  It is the first in a 3 book
series that covers camera, film, and print. Also see if they have his book,
The Making of 40 Photographs. Excellent view into working with large format.

The real magic of the 4x5 is:

Working with large format means you are going to be using a tripod, carrying
film holders, large camera, etc. You don't just snap a photo and move on. It
takes some planning. Things slow down. You think more about each shot, where
you should be, what it will look like in the ground-glass. It is more of a
commitment to get a large format negative exposed. You probably have just 1
or 2 lenses, they are expensive, they are slow. Everything is heavy. You
won't accept just a snapshot. You will move your tripod, adjust your camera,
rework your composition and get a single print in the time I have seen
others shoot a whole roll. (I allow about 20 minutes per shot to setup,
meter, adjust and shoot. Yeah, a lot of times it doesn't take that long, but
it isn't worth rushing, so planning a lot of time is the best thing you can
do.)  When viewing an area I sometimes think, "This might make a nice
photo...worth a 4x5? Nope, maybe just shoot 35."

Shooting film that costs a lot more per shot than 35mm, both in time and
money makes you think...is this shot really worth it? I've got to take this
so-so composition--I've got to develop it, print it, dry it just to toss it
in the trash? No. Recompose or move on.

You can use all that camera adjustments (rising, falling, sliding, swings,
and tilts) to obtain photos you can't do with a 35mm. You can square up a
"keystoned" building.  Or see both the side and the face of it squarely.
WIDEN the range of acceptable focus (depth of field) on a near/far subject
without (or in addition to) closing down to a smaller f stop.  (This isn't a
challenge, just a statement: I believe the Zuiko shift lens can do the
rising, falling, sliding but don't believe that it can tilt/swing -- to
bring one edge closer to the film plane and the other further away. Like
this:  Filmplane --> |   / <--lens plane or, /   / , or \  / , etc)

You can focus your camera either by vernier scale, range-finder, or a huge,
beautiful ground glass. You can aim your camera with the tube finder (blah),
ground-glass (yea!) or 1940's style wire frame and peep site.

The fact that a 8x10" print is only a 2x enlargement of the negative rather
than a 16x enlargement of a 35mm negative. (Look at two 8x10 prints from 400
speed film. Are you willing to compare with a 10x magnification loupe? I
am.)

Developing 4x5" negatives by shuffling them around in the developer tray
with your hands is a lot better than sloshing a little can of 35mm film
around. I don't know... it just feels like you are more involved with it.
(Many of you are thinking "The boy has inhaled too many darkroom fumes."
Yeah, but it IS more enjoyable.)

Your darkroom can just as easily handle 35 and medium format work too.

People won't think you are a crazy person who spent a lot of money on a 25
year old camera...they'll think you are a crazy person who spent a lot of
money on a 1000 year old BIG camera. (You WILL have people stop and ask
questions. Just crank the lens wide, pop open the graflock viewing back and
watch their amazement.)

Okay, before everyone tries to hunt me down, I should move on...check the
books out.

Your questions:

Film is available for 4x5, roll film for the little one. If I recall
correctly people cut down either 8x10 or 4x5 film into sheet film for the
small cameras. I don't think that the small ones are actually used "view
camera" style--usually they are hand held, focused by scale, aimed and shot
with all adjustments at neutral. (A friend of mine used to do insurance work
with a mini one. She said that's how they were used.)

I'm pretty sure you can still get flash bulbs. (Some cost several dollars
EACH). There are different bulbs for focal plane shutters and lens/leaf
shutters. Not sure, but you might be able to adapt electronic flash for
less. For the most part, you aren't going to be doing 1940's style news
photography. I've never needed or wanted a 4x5 photo with flash. BTW:

Lenses: Price and quality range widely. Nikon, Rodenstock (sp?) and
Schneider(!!!) and others still make excellent (although expensive) lenses.
You can also pick up used ones on eBay or at a Camera Show.

Selling: eBay bids span a range that makes me feel like my purchase price
was probably about right. I've always suspected that some of the higher bids
wars result from basic research on the item and a good "car salesman"
description. I have a couple of books titled "Graphic Graflex Photography"
published in 1941 and '44 which lists a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Miniature Speed
Graphic with a 101mm Kodak Ektar f4.5 lens costing $117.50  that looks like
a small 4x5 Speed Graphic costing $123.50

The book was publish every year I think. If you get a copy, you may never
sell your Graphic. They covered it all. Film, filters, flash, darkroom work,
exposure, equipment...including the super-telephoto of the day...a 5x7
camera with a permanently attached 60 inch focal length f/8 lens. (This is
1941 America! You convert it to mm) There's even a chapter advising readers
what kind of photos readers liked to see in print. Scenery or Travel was #1,
Children #2, Places-Objects in the News rated 3rd. (Not bad for an annual
survey of newspaper photos) Interestingly (and un-political correct) enough
the number 11 ranked photo group was "leg" yes, there is even a photo to
back it up.

Disclaimer: I am and always have been an Olympus Loyalist. My first camera
was an Olympus, my second camera was an OM1[MD] -- both paid for with lawn
mowing money (blood, sweat, and sunburn). Now my system is worth more than
my car...lots. (Sad isn't it.) I am NOT a Zuikoholic--I don't have a problem
because I don't admit it and my friends and family can't find a program to
check me in to. The preceding was reply to an "off topic" message but if you
are one of the "You're clogging up MY Internet" cronies, you quit reading
this off-topic message a long time ago. Good. Seriously, check out your
camera before you sell it, I don't think you are going to get as much cash
for it as you might get "value" for it from its use.