[OM] Re: Graflex

Subject: [OM] Re: Graflex
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:32:56 -0700
> Subject: Re: [OM] ***Graphex~ Speed Graphic and Mini Speed Graphic***
>
> There's an excellent website that has every imaginable bit of info about
> those cameras. I believe it's Graflex.org. I used to have a 2x3 Century
> Graphic. I used it with a 6x7 back. I read that there was a source of
> that size cut film, but it's much easier to use a rollfilm back. By the
> way, an RB 67(Mamiya) fits and keeps the film flatter than the Singer
> made roll film back. Of course, that's if you have a  camera with the
> spring back that will accept a roll film back. I found the camera
> intersting to use, but slow, and there are lot of steps to follow. Good
> luck, John.

Hi John and everyone,

     At different times I've used a Graflex SLR.  About 20 years ago a
model Super
D in 4X5 size with a six shot automatic Graphmatic 4X5 back that would
fire off six
shots as fast you could push pull the septums.  The one I had worked
great, but
I've seen bent septums and they are impossibe, or nearly, to
straighten.  Good
camera for portraits, even today.

     More recently I've used a Graflex, also SLR, in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 inch
size.  I
cut down some Panatomix-X roll aerial 5 inchx1000 ft. to size.  I got
one good
exposure of a bowl of fruit, setting the camera up high above the table
and taking
advantage of the 'reflex' big picture, which for it's age 65 years is
not too bad.

     I got rid of both of them.  The 4X5 relfex Graflexes are more
desirable because
of the film availability issure.  Nobody markets 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 size film
anymore.

    The Graflex web site has a question and answer section.  There are
some
more knowledgeable people there to answer most Graflex questions.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson

tripspud@xxxxxxxxxxxx