[OM] <Conehead-speak> "I am from France!"

Subject: [OM] <Conehead-speak> "I am from France!"
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:39:53 -0600
I'm baaaaaack.

France was wonderful, albeit wet a lot of the time (that's what we get for
spending nearly half of our twenty-four days in the north [Normandy, mostly,
with some time in Burgundy and the Île de France]).  Not as many picture
opportunities as I'd like, but I still managed to burn eleven or twelve rolls
of film.  Even at my abysmally low success rate for photos, I should have a
couple dozen shots that I'd be proud to show off.

Speaking of which, I'm taking the film in today for processing -- a mix of Fuji
Astia 100 Professional (7 or 8 rolls, can't quite recall) and Fuji APS 200 (3
or 4 rolls, same problems with my jet-lagged memory).  Many risks were taken
with lighting and composition to shoot some of these rolls, and I'm expecting a
lot of failures, plus some 'marginals' that I might be able to salvage with
post-processing in Photoshop.  C'est la vie.  As a sidenote, everyone
everywhere gave my film hand-inspection rather than X-Ray machine ("fog
factory") inspection, with the exception of personnel at Roissy-Charles de
Gaulle, who treated my request for hand-inspection as an imperialist North
American insult to the power and glory of France.  Should've expected that, but
at least my film only got nuked once, instead of a handful of times.

I was generally happy with my kit: an OM-4, plus a 28mm/2.0 and a 90mm/2.0
Macro, all genuine Olympus.  There were a few times when I ached for my
21mm/2.0 and/or my Manfrotto 051 tripod, though.  **HEAVY SIGH**  I'll have to
bring along a manservant to carry my stuff next time.  At least the kit I
brought was seriously portable.

As for a more detailed narrative, it'll have to wait until the jet-lag has
subsided (gives me time to scan the pictures, I guess, and do some work on the
latest update to the Olympus Web Gallery).

I'm going back to bed now.  I already miss the booze and food, but I
desperately need to go on a diet for a few weeks.  "Let them eat bread and
water!"  ;-)

Garth

P.S.:  How's everyone been in my absence?