Re: [OM] 50f/1.4 breakpoint

Subject: Re: [OM] 50f/1.4 breakpoint
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:40:06 -0400
Say fellas...

Rather than looking at our dusty single-coated or
semi-demi-hemi-multi-coated Zuikos as being simply older and inferior, we
need to take a tip from my bretheren in the Leica Users Group.

I, for instance, have THE one and only Zuiko 50mm f1.4 serial #205108 (I'm
not afraid to spell out my whole number -- but, of course, it's short).
There ain't no doubt about its coating.  It's single and it's yellow and you
can see the cataract coloration through the viewfinder.  Even though it's
pristine, if the moon's out, it'll flare.

But, hey!  If you owned an ancient Leitz lens with similar characteristics,
you'd boast that your lens had that elusive and ethereal "Leica look" and
actually bemoan the fact that lenses like that are obsolete.  Similarly, we
could brag about the magical "Zuiko sweetness" of our older glass.  If we
did this often enough and long enough...and managed not to laugh out
loud...we could probably drive up the prices of these ancient artifacts to
ridiculously high levels on ebay. "MUST LOOK!  Extremely rare, six-digit
serial number Zuiko lens with coveted amber coating. They don't make them
like this any more!  A must for collectors!  Bid now and often -- don't let
this one pass you by!"

Craig
yellowing with age in
Boston.