Re: [OM] How much for an OM-1n?

Subject: Re: [OM] How much for an OM-1n?
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:16:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/01 9:50:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
music4free@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Hey, I've been shopping around for a used OM body and they're kinda hard to
>  find...
>
>  I don't want to shop on ebay simply because of previous bad encounters.
I'm
>  looking for almost any body in the Edmonton area or even in Alberta.
Anyone
>  know of a place to get one?
>
>  Also, what's a good price to buy/sell an om-1n?

Chris,

I picked one up on that notorious auction site for about $110, if memory
serves.  Recently.  Chrome.  Cosmetically VERY nice (and with the motordrive
bay cap!).  Found a like-new genuine Oly neveready case at the camera show
for $5.  Just bought a new-in-box flash shoe 4 for another $30 (it had one
that worked, but with more than the "usual" cracks).  So I'm into it about
$145 and counting.  It needs the foam seals replaced.  It may as well get a
CLA at that time.  And it needs a battery  conversion.  So I'm probably
looking at investing another $150 into it, before it will be 100%.
Realistically, $300 US for a classic solid, reliable, beautiful,
feature-laden SLR is a HECK of a deal IMHO.  Priced a plastic "wonderbrick"
lately?

Watch the list.

Watch the "Olympus Cameras on the Web" dealers ( <A
HREF="http://www.twodimes.org/oly-1.html";>Olympus Cameras on the Web</A>,
http://www.twodimes.org/oly-1.html).

And don't totally rule out U-Know-Who-Bay.  I have had good luck in about 39
out of about 40 deals and counting.  Returned one VERY scratchy lens to a
seller recently for a refund.  Another deal or two took some "work" to make
me happy.  One seller recently sent me a body cap in error (was supposed to
be a lens cap).  When I e-mailed him about it, he promptly sent me a lens cap
and said to keep the body cap, no problem.  Most *Bay sellers want your
business, they want positive feedback, and will try to make you happy.  Many
offer a 10-day or so money back guarantee.  You could watch and bid on ONLY
such auctions, as a way of adding a margin of safety to your exploits there.

It seems most OM-1ns being sold are showing up on *Bay.  Why put a camera up
on a shelf in a camera store for a very limited clientele when you can
advertise it to dozens who are willing to try to outbid eachother for it?

E-mail me off-list and I'll tell you a couple of sellers to avoid.
Otherwise, I don't think *Bay is all that bad.

As for Edmonton/Alberta, have you pulled out your Yellow Pages and phoned
around?  Cheaper (but not as much adventure) as driving to dealer after
dealer.

Rich