Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:29:20 -0600
At 04:42 PM 5/16/2001 -0700, Winsor Crosby (concerning "www.scantips.com")
wrote:

[snip]

>It may be edging into OT discussion, but Scantips seems to go against what a
>lot of other very experienced people do, at least as far as his advice to scan
>only for the size you are going to use, and not to scan at high resolution and
>resample down in Photoshop. I think one would have to do a lot of individual
>testing to determine which of the conflicting rules are correct.  He does
>advise that you do that.

I certainly didn't say ScanTips was perfect, just that it's the best I've come
across so far.  Scanning really is an art, and there's a fair amount of
experimentation involved, but ScanTips is a damn good place to start.  (For the
record, I too like to scan at maximum *hardware* resolution [not that
interpolated software crap] and then downsample in Photoshop, but there are
many people who don't have that option for various technical reasons --
computer/SCSI card's too slow, hard drive's too small, their image manipulation
program doesn't do good downsampling, etc., etc., etc. ...)

Garth