[OM] Solar eclipse

Subject: [OM] Solar eclipse
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 06:42:44 -0000
Cc: roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Rainer and Roger wrote:

- -Hi roger,
I would recommend a 500/8 Beroflex ( Normal,non mirror , -called
"Wundertuete" here, untranslatable) for this purpose. I got some very
pleasing results with one of those at the 1999 eclipse here in germany ( No
totality pics though, sigh...).
----
Morning all,

I bought a Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 the other weekend.  I christened it 'The
Beast', as it is colossal and very heavy.  Seeems OK from an optics
point of view (I've had some nice moon shots from it), but as I want to
take it to Zambia for the solar eclipse, I'd rather have something
lighter.....

Cheers,
Roger
----

Do not forget to bring an ultra wide angle lens to photograph the umbra passing by! Here are my results of the 1999 eclipse with the Tokina 17 mm F3.5:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/eclipse/eclipse.html

The whole series consist of 19 images. Projecting the images with two projectors fading in and out gives a breathtaking result, almost a movie! BTW I recently bought the Zuiko 500 mm F8 for only US$230 and that included 2 B&W filters (72 mm) and FS nr. 8... Buying gear for decent prices is still possible with a little patience!

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html