Re: [OM] film recs for graduation

Subject: Re: [OM] film recs for graduation
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:29:25 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Acer V wrote:

> anyway, i'd like advice on film.

I've been quite pleased with Kodak's Supra 800, Fuji NPH 800 and
EHG1600.

> I've arranged to borrow the T32 flash extending head from the
> ever generous Tom,

Will you be using a BG2?  do you have the use of a winder? a body with
TTL flash? a 2m TTL cord? why am I asking? - because you may find all of
them useful.  At the distances you're considering, the dreaded red-eye
will raise its ugly head in a big way, even with a BG2.  I've developed
a technique for dealing with this, though.  I use a 2m TTL cord to
connect the body to the detached upright bit of a BG2, which I hold out
to the side at arm's length.  Not only does this completely eliminate
red-eye, it also gives a less "full frontal" look to the lighting.
Using a winder as well makes the camera easier to hold with one hand.
You'll have to practise focusing using one finger to push the focusing
ring, or prefocus before detaching the BG2 "handle".  If you don't have
a BG2, you can always hold the T32 in your left hand.

> I will use the center column of tripod where possible as a makeshift
> monopod. thanks,

Shouldn't need it for flash shots, but  in any case you can take the
whole tripod and strap the legs together so they don't try to splay out
whilst you extend only one of them to use as a monopod.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |