Re: [OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone

Subject: Re: [OM] My first OM-1! Thanks everyone
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:03:11 -0500
From: "Chris Stinson" <music4free@xxxxxxxx>

> Over the past few months I've been researching different cameras, trying
> make an informed decision as to which to buy.

I did the same thing a little over 20 years ago. I am still quite satisfied
with my OM1 which still works great with only a foam replacement.

> Some people tried to tell me "oh, the OM line is going down, etc,

Yep. It's dead. Everyone mail me your worthless equipement. Just toss the
zooms, don't want that junk. (If that doesn't get some response from the
slow soft focus crowd, I don't know what will.)

> when you can spend half as much on a *real* manual camera ...

I still prefer a manual camera. When I wanted to add to my camera bag, I
purchased a 3Ti specifically because it was a manual. I also use a 2n, most
of the time in manual mode, so why buy another auto just to flip it onto
manual all the time? Being in contol of the camera, and not the other way
around lets *me* take the photograph and not some engineer at woNderbrIcKON.
Batteries! We don't need no stinkin' batteries! While the built in meter is
nice, I know that I can keep shooting if I find my battery is dead. (Only
once, but I didn't have to drive back into town just to make my camera
function.) Compared to a digital, I'll take film resolution any day.
(Somewhere I read that they will have to get up to 15 megapixels to equal
the resolution of the worst 35mm film. 60M for the best.)

> Seems crazy to me. Besides, my new OM collection is small, ...

Save the line above. There are two types of Olympus users, Zukioholics and
those in denial. Oh, yes... I too started with just a OM1 and a 50f1.4 and
Oh! how my bank account has fallen!

> I'm going to jasper in a week, Boston and Houston in a month, and Europe
in

HOUSTON?!!! Well, I guess you have to pay back some karma for getting to go
to the other great destinations. Not that Houston isn't safe...the police
stop every car driving into town and check for guns...if you don't have any
they give you one.  Ummmm...The Greater Houston Area Tourist Bureau Swat
Team just kicked in my door and demands that I admit that I misrepresented
the facts. Yes, I freely admit it -- my previous statement is not
accurate...they give you a gun AND some bullets.