Re: [OM] film recs for graduation

Subject: Re: [OM] film recs for graduation
From: Acer V <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:29:14 -0700
>On Thu, 17 May 2001, Acer V wrote:
>
>> anyway, i'd like advice on film.
>
>I've been quite pleased with Kodak's Supra 800, Fuji NPH 800 and
>EHG1600.

will look into those, along with X-TRA800 and Pro 800. thanks to all.

>> I've arranged to borrow the T32 flash extending head from the
>> ever generous Tom,
>
>Will you be using a BG2?  do you have the use of a winder? a body with
>TTL flash? a 2m TTL cord?

no to all questions.... I'm not going and doing this to get a "real" shot of
her getting handed the diploma/awards (the pro photog does that, they
stand RIGHT there behind the person handing the diploma).

 why am I asking? - because you may find all of
>them useful.  At the distances you're considering, the dreaded red-eye
>will raise its ugly head in a big way, even with a BG2.  I've developed
>a technique for dealing with this, though.  I use a 2m TTL cord to
>connect the body to the detached upright bit of a BG2, which I hold out
>to the side at arm's length.  Not only does this completely eliminate
>red-eye, it also gives a less "full frontal" look to the lighting.

oh no worries about full frontal lighting, i'll be so far, the flash will only
serve as a fill flash to soften any shadows cast by the main theatre lights, if
it does anything at all, or catchlights at dusk before the commencement begins.

>Using a winder as well makes the camera easier to hold with one hand.
>You'll have to practise focusing using one finger to push the focusing
>ring, or prefocus before detaching the BG2 "handle".  If you don't have
>a BG2, you can always hold the T32 in your left hand.

although Tom did offer anything else I might need and ask for, i kindly
declined. Someone else will be doing the video, i'll take some cadid stills,
that's it. if I got too serious about this, then i'll be more worried about
equipment than actually enjoying the experience. I've also been asked by
friends' to be the official photog for an upcoming occasion may 26 (long
weekend) but i've declined, saying i'll be another person there, and
take casual candids. nothing official.

>> I will use the center column of tripod where possible as a makeshift
>> monopod. thanks,

>Shouldn't need it for flash shots, but  in any case you can take the
>whole tripod and strap the legs together so they don't try to splay out
>whilst you extend only one of them to use as a monopod.

no space, thas why. the 'pod is to help me stabilize the 200mm, even with
flash. i can use all the help i can get keeping it steady.

one ceremony will be indoors in an theatre, which i'm confident i'll get decent
results due to shorter distances. the actuall commencement will be
here:
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/bowl.jpg

and i will be backed up on temporary metal stadiumstyle planks (not shown) all
the way back here
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/bowl2.jpg

the closest I can get is halfway down, that's it.