[OM] Solar Eclips -> OM-10 the ultimate gear?

Subject: [OM] Solar Eclips -> OM-10 the ultimate gear?
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:58:58 -0000
Cc: shedridc@xxxxxxxxx
Hi Donald and others,

Your pictures of the sun are better than mine!
I did made some pictures with the Zuiko 300 mm F4.5 on Kodachrome 25. However, I forgot to compensate the shutterspeed for the thin clouds, so most of my pictures are underexposed. K25 (or K64) is a perfect film for the solar eclipse I think: very natural colours, very sharp and you don't need filters because of the low speed. Reciprocity is not a subject when photographing the sun itself. As you can see with my wide-angle-umbra pictures, the reciprocity works fine for the scenic photos (the "darkest" pictures were exposed for about 40-60 seconds). The reason I didn't take much telephoto pictures is that I wanted to see the eclipse myself instead of messing with the camera(s)... The 1999 eclipse made me thinking about the perfect setup for taking pictures. Want you want is an easy to operate camera. A camera that makes a series of pictures with different shutter speeds, but without the vibrations of an AF-wonderbrick (a friend of my used a Pentax Z1: all pictures were crap due to heavy vibrations). The nice thing is, there is an OM that offers the possibility of external control of the shutter speed: the OM-10! By making your own manual-adapter, connected with a wire to the OM-10 you can select the shutterspeed without touching the camera. You can even control it with a computer. Through the winder you can even release the shutter by a computer: exactly at calculated times... first contact, diamond ring... etc.!!! The only problem with the winder is vibrations, but maybe those can be prevented by using the selftimer.
I do not own a OM-10, so maybe I am talking nonsense. Any comments?
Can you use the selftimer in combination with the winder?
Does it prevent vibrations (i.e. are the 12 seconds enough to relax and is the semi-mirror-lockup adequate)?

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html