Re: [OM] [OT] Deposting non-US checks

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Deposting non-US checks
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:56:52 +0100
Keith Berry wrote

It's as bad here in the UK with Germany and cheques/checks, and
although
I've bought quite a few things from German eBay sellers, the only
economical
way to pay is to buy and mail them Deutschmarks. Thanks to PayPal and
CCNow,
it's much easier and cheaper to buy from the USA and Russia than from
our
European neighbours.
<<<<<

We had the perfect system I thought, with Eurocheques.  Just write the
cheque in the payee's currency and all you would pay were normal
exchange/commission charges, which were nowhere near as high as funds
transfer.  It worked beautifully, so the banks scrapped it at the end
of last year.  I was forced to buy a load of stuff from Jaap Korten's
splendid
www.wide-angle.nl just to use up my remaining cheques.

The UK Post Office are offering some sort of small funds transfer
service, but I don't know the details. Could be worth asking if you've
got a deal in mind.

John