Re: [OM] Olympus in the new eBay Photo categories

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus in the new eBay Photo categories
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 14:40:10 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/01 10:55:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> It appears that our comments (among others) worked in getting eBay to
>  fully recognize Olympus OM among the various categories and sub
>  categories under Photo

>snip<

> a testament to the power of constructive comments.

Just made common sense to me Gary (I wrote 'em a very blunt e-mail).  Just
checked the listings.  There are 9299 listings in the 35mm category, 635 of
which are Olympus.  For lenses, 181 Olympus items out of 4267 listings.  Why
would I want to have to wade thru a total of 13,566 photo items of all brands
to find the 816 Olympus listings?  I'm already spending too much time on
*Bay.  I think their sales volume of Olympus items would have taken a major
hit.  I for one probably would have totally abandoned my use of *Bay as a
resource, and turned exclusively to dealers and list members.

Of course, had they made the proposed change, we could have done an "Olympus"
search to turn up what we were looking for, I guess.  But what a pain.  Guess
that's what Leica and Contax shoppers will be doing, eh?  Lucky us!!!

Now if we can just persuade Olympus Corp. to at least continue to produce a
quality line of SLRs that take our beloved Zuikos.  The marketing dept. may
be directing the course of the company's efforts at the present time.  But if
enough folks (not just list members) express an interest, they MAY just
surprise us all and respond.  Digital may rule the day, but perhaps after the
initial fascination wears off, and some of those digital newbies realize that
they just aren't getting the quality they want in their pics, and/or take a
more serious interest in photography... marketing may respond.  I wonder if
there are any Maitani types at Olympus today, dreaming and designing and
sticking to their guns?  THAT makes a difference.

One person, one letter, CAN make a difference.  Think of the power of
hundreds, or thousands of folks, all expressing the same opinion.

Rich