Re: [OM] Hum....

Subject: Re: [OM] Hum....
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:42:35 -0700
Alan writes:

<< So is there any advantage of the Zuiko 300f4.5 over the Novaflex
400f5.6 >>

That is like comparing apples to oranges.  The Novoflex is a preset
lens, vs. auto for the Zuiko. So anything besides wide open with the
Novoflex  is a focusing screen compromise, unless the subject is such
that you have a chance to change aperture before the shot.  The Novoflex
is optimized for quick and follow focusing with its squeeze grip
focusing handle, as well as steady holding like a rifle with its gun
stock.  If you don't have a cable release hooked up to provide index
finger shutter release, it is much more difficult to use.  Many used
units don't have a cable release attachment.

All-in-all, the Novoflex allows for handholding at shutter speeds much
shorter than with a Zuiko and no shoulder stock. I've squeezed off
acceptable shots at 1/60th (or 125th sec?), but my arms and legs were
draped around a tripod or I was prone like a sharpshooter. Focusing can
be quicker and following a moving subject can be much easier. It is best
suited to wildlife or sports use, where performance in the corners
(which suffer from curvature of field and coma) isn't as important.
Center definition will knock your socks off, though.

If you can target shoot a rifle accurately, you'll much more inclined to
like the Novoflex.  Also, don't even think of using slower than ISO 200
films with it.  I'm looking forward to trying out Provia F 400 with
mine.  It seems an ideal combination.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV