[OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff

Subject: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:21:03 EDT
Will be going on Alaskan cruise the end of July, with a few days in Seattle
prior to departure.  Only things absolutely in concrete at this time are a
ferry/boat ride to Victoria to see the gardens and a visit to the Hay Street
market in Seattle.  Would be interested in hearing from anyone experienced
with the area or Alaskan cruises of "not to miss" photographic opportunities.
 Will be stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  Will be also going into
Glacier Bay.  Other than places to go, what focal lengths might one find most
useful from the ship and would appreciate any advice about ship
movement/shutter speeds particularly for low light (early morning/late
evening) stuff.  Would probably be most interested in lens recommendations on
the longer focal lengths as that is where most of the weight would be.  The
short kit will likely include the 18, 28-48 zoom, 35-100 zoom, 50 mm f 3.5 &
maybe the 65-200.  What I have available on the longer end in addition to
several 2X extenders (Zuiko, Vivitar macro & Tamron) is Zuiko 200, Zuiko 400,
Tamron 500 f 8 and a Tamron 60-300 zoom.  I do plan to take a tripod.  Any
advice from those who have experience in the area would be greatly
appreciated.  I would be interested in scenic and wildlife (whales, bears,
eagles,etc).  Still looking for the lens hood for the 28-48mm.    Bill Barber